On the Sunday evening after Thanksgiving, the unspeakable happened… two of my children started vomiting! Within hours, three of my four kiddos were down-and-out with a nasty stomach bug!
Stomach bugs are the things of nightmares. Especially, when you have four kids, two of whom are too young to make it to the bathroom.
I spent the better part of Sunday night and the wee hours of Monday morning doing laundry, rubbing backs, doing laundry, syringing teaspoons of Pedialyte into sleepy mouths, doing laundry, and applying cool compresses to feverish heads. But, you know what I didn’t have to spend a minute doing?!?! Writing sub plans!! Because this year, I made myself a slammin’ sub kit and, ladies and gentleman, I can say for sure that this is a game-changer!!
Leaving sub plans is the worst. It’s actually worse than the worst. They take me hours… and usually, like in the case of last week, I do not have hours to spare to put them together.
And then, despite how wonderful your sub might have been, it’s rare that the plans you spent hours putting together have been implemented to the point that adequate work has been produced.
Well this year, I decided to change that! After 11 years of teaching, I put together this sub kit. Now, this is hardly a new or original idea! Lots of you are loads smarter than me and have been using one of these babies for ages! But, for some reason, I just never got around to putting one together… until this year!
Let me show you mine:
First, I used a box… like the ones that I wrote about here. I made a cute cover… obviously, yours doesn’t need a cute cover, but I wanted it to be big and bold so a sub coming into the room can’t miss it!
Next, I have a stack of important documents: attendance forms, class lists, fire/lock down drill info, etc: